Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Great-Aunt Alice

My Great-Aunt Alice fell asleep in Jesus yesterday.



My Grandma was the second of four daughters. Alice was the youngest. The also had one brother that was never officially adopted, but part of their family.



I was trying to figure out how I could go to the funeral in IN. I was planning on driving the boys myself because Ram is busy with Ash Wednesday coming up. I was hoping the funeral would be Thursday or Friday so I could pack on Monday, drive on Tuesday and Wednesday, and then be there for the funeral. The funeral is on Wednesday and there is no way I could get everything together and drive that far by myself by then. My sister thought maybe I would just take Lamb 3 and fly, but there's no place for the other two Lambs while Ram has to be a pastor this week. And even flying is a big deal when you live 3 hours away from the airport.



I'm sad to not go to the funeral. I went to my Grandma's and her other two sister's funerals. Many of the family that will be there I haven't seen since my wedding 7 years ago, and some since before that. Times like this are when I am the most sad to live so far away from home. I do hope to go to the wedding of Alice's grandson this summer. Hopefully I will see a lot of the family there under more happy circumstances.



Alice and her husband Carl lived next door to my Grandma. They were younger and helped my Grandma out a lot while she was still in her own home. As a child when I would go visit my Grandma for a week or two, I would also spend several afternoons going over to Alice and Carl's to visit for the afternoon. They were like my grandparents too. Alice visited my Grandma so often that my grandma would say, "It's only Alice", when she knocked on the door.



One thing I really appreciated was Alice did her best to correspond with her relatives and especially wrote to me a little more often after my Grandma died. She sent letters or cards when each of my boys were baptized about how happy she was that they were now part of God's family. I sent Christmas cards out late this year so I just received a letter from her a few weeks ago in response to our Christmas letter.



We were able to see her last June when we were on vacation. Here's a photo of Aunt Alice with Lamb 3 from that day. I'm so happy that she held each of my 3 Lambs when they were babies!




As sad as I am, I rejoice that Aunt Alice is singing with the angels today.

Asleep in Jesus! Oh, how sweet To be for such a slumber meet,

With holy confidence to sing That death has lost his venomed sting!

TLH 587:2

1 comment:

Esther said...

My sympathies to you and your family. She sounds like a dear woman. Rejoice that this is not "Goodbye", but it is "See you later!"