Friday, April 3, 2009

Concordia St. Paul choir

Tonight I took Lamb 3 and went to a concert at a church in our circuit about 45 minutes away. Lamb 3 wanted to walk around and explore so I wasn't able to hear the whole concert. But what I was able to hear was lovely. I especially appreciated the Latin texts. They are just beginning their tour and are headed to Sioux Falls, Omaha, Kansas City, Madison, etc. next week.

It wasn't until I was sitting at the concert that I realized how much I miss good concerts and choirs like tonight. Coming from a hometown of Fort Wayne, IN and then 4 years at Concordia, Mequon I took concerts for granted. I think tonight was the only concert in our circuit by a Concordia since we moved here 6 years ago.

After the concert when they were getting ready to go to their host's homes, it reminded me of being in wind ensemble and our tours. Good memories!

The director mentioned that the choir members pay a fee to go on tour. This surprised me. We didn't pay anything to go on tour with the CUW wind ensemble. We just brought spending money. We were just expected to represent the school well, try to recruit future students for CUW, and play our instruments well. I don't know how CUW does it now, but I'm thankful that I had the chance to go for "free" when I was there. I don't know if I would have been able to afford to be in wind ensemble in addition to all the other college costs if I would have had to pay to go on tour.

No comments: