Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Trying new recipes post 2

I read this blog post and decided to make almond flour scones. We now live in the city so I thought buying almond flour would be easy. Dh went to several stores and finally found it at one new grocery store but it was in the bulk section and it was on sale the week before so they were completely out. I went back later in the week and got it but it was Bob's Red Mill brand which is not recommended as the best for baked goods. I decided it wouldn't hurt to try it for the almond flour scones since I could get it locally and not pay shipping for it.

My first batch I made with no sweetener or sugar. I put chocolate chips and crushed walnuts in it. They were really good and maybe some day I will try it with another brand of almond flour and I plan to make it again with different add ins besides chocolate chips and walnuts.
These are not cheap to make-I paid over $6 lb for the almond flour and it took about a lb of almond flour. But I love having a treat without flour or sugar for my family. Adding in the dark chocolate chips (I don't buy Nestle!) and walnuts made it more healthy. I will definitely be making these again.
I still limited the Lambs to one scone each day-since they think they are dessert they don't need to know there is no sugar in them. Plus they will last a little longer at our house for financial reasons. Perhaps making a batch of these will be on my new weekly kitchen day list.
I am so glad that no one in our family is allergic to nuts so we can have this treat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of our friends here makes lilikoi (passion fruit) scones. They are AMAZING. She gets the fruit from her own back yard. Super fun.
Too bad, I can't bring you any - don't think I can fl with fruit because of restrictions...