Monday, March 5, 2018

14

He is learning what "adult" birthdays are like. Almost all his presents were books from both his grandparents. There was no huge Lego set to put together this year. He was content to use his day off of school reading, playing iPad, and playing basketball with his brothers. (Homeschooling means no school on birthdays in our family.) He was happy that we didn't have anywhere to go today. The local grandparents even came over to our house. It was a little bittersweet for me today that it was the last homeschool birthday for him. Maybe he will end up with a snow day next year? He was born during a snowstorm, so we can hope, but that was in MN.
Lamb 2 made a really nice card

Grandma sent candles that light the same color as the candle. They were pretty neat.

Birthday Meal Requests:
Breakfast: French toast
Lunch: Sloppy Joes
Snack: fudge
Supper: Pizza (but we went out for pizza yesterday so we will have pizza another day this week, we just had leftovers tonight.)
Cake: Vanilla with homemade dairy free frosting that is the best frosting I have ever made!

I was a little exhausted after cooking all this plus making some other food for our family this week and doing all those dishes. I will sleep well tonight! Ram teased me that I didn't even have to teach school today, but honestly I don't know when we would have fit school in! Tomorrow will be back to regular schedule.



3 comments:

Jody said...

Now you must post the recipe for the best frosting you have ever made!

Ewe said...

1 cup dairy free shortening (palm) (I used Nutiva brand that I got on clearance at the grocery store. I never know what will be in the clearance section!)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt optional (I left out.)
Note from Ewe: It was delicious like this, but a little hard to spread so I added a little bit of coconut milk, but you could add any kind of milk. It was not Paleo due to the powdered sugar, but Lamb 1 was much more concerned about it being dairy free. The recipe said not to add water or milk because it wouldn't mix right, but I didn't read that until after I had already added milk and it worked fine for me. I can tell if you wanted to decorate with it like rosettes, you would want it thicker. I refrigerated the leftovers and I'm sure they will eat the rest of them tomorrow or the next day. Then we will be on to the next birthday cake during boys birthday season! The success with this recipe makes me willing to try true Paleo frosting. But I also feel that a splurge on 5 family birthdays is not going to hurt us and will make the Lambs more likely to continue to eat Paleo if they are allowed birthday splurges.
Adapted from petiteallergytreats.com

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Lamb 1!