Friday, August 31, 2012

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I recently read a biography and some other books about Laura Ingalls Wilder. I read Laura's Album by William Anderson. I knew much of Laura's history from going to Walnut Grove and De Smet and from reading other books. I did enjoy reading more about her. I found this very interesting and wanted to share it with you.

Woman's Missionary Society
Congregational Church, De Smet, S.D.
Outline of Work for 1905
February: Alaska
March: China's Dynasties
April: Chinese Provinces and Map Drill
May: Religions of China
June: People of China
July: Christian Missions in China
August and September: Christian Missions (I think this was also in China.)
October: China the Open Door of Opportunity
November: Work Among the Philippinos
December: Mormonism

This listed who the hostess was for each month and other details of meeting times etc. which I'm not typing into my blog. The reason this was in Laura's Album was that in November Ma and Mary were the hostesses, showing that Ma was active in the De Smet community and church. I found it interesting that in 1905 so much focus was on China, with a little on Alaska and the Philippines, but then Mormonism had it's month too. If only our church ladies groups would do something like this today-or at least more ladies would attend LWML where they do do some of this with their mites.

1 comment:

allthingslauraingallswilder.com said...

Very interesting! I have not read Laura's journal yet, but it's on my list.