Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Non dairy whipped cream

When Lamb 1 couldn't have dairy and I was nursing him so I couldn't either, we bought RichWhip non dairy topping. This actually worked quite well for living rural. The store 1 and 1/2 hours away carried it and it was frozen. I kept about 4 in the freezer at all times and when I needed one whipped it up. I didn't care about the ingredients more than knowing it didn't have any dairy or soy. We figured it was for a temporary time as Lamb 1 was supposed to outgrow it. We had given up so much by giving up dairy and soy and couldn't imagine life without something like whipped cream.
After Lamb 1 outgrew his dairy problems we spent a lot of money on real whipping cream. Costco in the Twin Cities sold it by the half gallon in packs of two so we were really happy when we got there. We made homemade ice cream a couple of times a week. We were glad to not be eating the "fake" whipped cream any more.
Then we moved here and Costco is 20 minutes away but does not carry whipped cream in half gallons. Quarts are more expensive than half gallons were in the Twin Cities. We cut back out of financial necessity.
Then about a year ago Ram's mom started talking us into eating paleo which would mean no dairy which would mean no whipped cream. Sometimes we splurge and buy Coconut Bliss "ice cream". But we haven't bought whipping cream for a long time.
Last week I got a bunch of strawberries and peaches and wanted to make strawberry shortcake. One of my paleo cookbooks has a shortcake recipe. But what were we going to do about whipped cream? Should I cheat and buy the whipping cream just for the strawberry shortcake?
I found a trick on the internet that I can't believe none of my paleo cookbooks mentioned. I made this and it reminded me of Cool Whip, but better!

Refrigerate a can of full fat coconut milk at least overnight. Open the bottom of a can of coconut milk and pour off the liquid. Scoop the coconut cream into a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until it is the consistency of whipped cream. Add vanilla and honey to taste and beat until combined.

I can imagine for some desserts adding cinnamon or other spices or flavors. I used my regular mixer with the beater that is like a wire whip and it worked fine. I refrigerated mine upside down, don't know if that is necessary, but it worked for me. I used the liquid left over in a smoothie the next day.

Note: I know coconut milk is expensive and also most brands have guar gum. We are not having this kind of whipped cream every day. I figure we can splurge on this sometimes to have some special desserts.

So did those of you that eat non dairy know about homemade coconut milk whipped cream?

No comments: