Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Reading on Vacation

It seems as if the days fly by and I just don't get back to my blog. I really do want to get back here more often and I have tons of pictures to post. I don't know what my excuse is, since Lamb 2 is done with therapy I have mainly been doing routine tasks at home.

We went to Ram's parents for about a week after Christmas. I must admit it was very relaxing for me-not having to host Christmas, not cooking for almost a week, we even took down our outside decorations before we went there, the presents were all wrapped and mailed to far away family, and especially that the Lambs are old enough to entertain themselves while we are at Grandma's. 5 years ago, I could not imagine the Lambs getting dressed completely by themselves and not needing to be entertained every minute at Grandma's while also keeping a close eye on all Grandma's fragile items all over the house. I am so glad that day has come and going to Ram's parents is truly a vacation for me now instead of a ton of work.

I ended up staying up late one night reading and then spent most of the next day reading too with very few interruptions.  I finally got around to reading Unbroken. I really enjoyed the time reading on vacation. But I knew after reading the book that I have no desire to see the movie. I don't see how they can make this book into a movie and stay true to the book. I know they really shortened the events of his life in the movie-no way you can fit all this book into one movie. I also don't think they would portray the religious parts of the book in a movie like the book did. I also wonder how they could possibly show actors as people from the time of WWII and make it look real. I prefer to keep my images in my mind from the book instead of see how the movie portrayed it.

When I was in college I took a class on Vietnam. As a history minor most of my history classes that talked about WWII focused on which side won which battle. We discussed the whole WWII during a couple of lectures, only spending a week or two on it. I was so glad to read Unbroken and hear this part of history as a story from someone that lived through that time instead of like what I learned in my college classes.

I don't want to spoil the book for those that have not read it so I will leave it as I highly recommend Unbroken if you have not read it yet. I do not plan to see the movie, but my dad and my sister did. Have you read the book? Have you seen the movie or do you plan to?

No comments: