Sunday, June 12, 2011

Our summer schedule

This is not a serious reason why we homeschool, but one reason why I'm glad we do. VBS began tonight. Lamb 3 is too young to go so I planned to stay home with him while Ram took Lamb 1 and 2. We got a late start to making supper. They should have left the house about 5:30pm in order to make it to VBS by 6pm. The oven timer went off for supper about 5:45pm and it wasn't even close to done. Ram had put it on the bottom rack of the oven and my oven doesn't heat well... So we had a mad dash to make hot dogs and the boys to wolf down a hot dog and they left the house after 6pm with the promise that they could eat supper when they get home (about 9pm). If I can't even get 2 of them fed and out the door by 5:30pm, how could I do that to meet the bus at 7am?

This is our schedule for June and I have no one to blame for this schedule besides myself because I signed the Lambs up for this.
This week Lamb 1-2 go to VBS. One night we are skipping VBS to go to something else we committed to. Ram volunteered to help with VBS but no one ever got back to him. Perhaps when he gets there they will put him to work. One night we have 3 places to be at the same time so I'm taking Lamb 3 one place, Ram is taking the Lambs to VBS and will be late to his meeting before I rush over to VBS to pick up the Lambs.
Then we have 2 weeks of soccer and then about an hour break before swim lessons for Lamb 1 and 2. Ram plans to take them most of the first week and I'll stay home with Lamb 3 because he's not old enough. Then Ram is going to Doxology so I'll have to entertain Lamb 3 while I take Lamb 1 and 2 to soccer/swim.  I'm not quite sure how to fit summer library reading program in there because Lamb 1 moved up to the next age group so his is at a different time and I don't really want to take the Lambs to two sessions at the library, plus it is at the same time as soccer/swim. We may miss a few weeks of summer library program. Add in that Lamb 1 still has math to complete this summer and other various appointments and of course Ram has to be a pastor!
It's not so much the driving to this that I'm worried about. It's the getting out the door on time, if I have to take all 3 it will mess up Lamb 3's nap time, making snacks to eat between soccer and swim, coming home to make supper when everyone will be starving when we've been gone for the afternoon, and getting the Lambs to bed on time so we can do the same schedule the next day. I'm worried because we had nothing this afternoon (and I took the Lambs to early church so we had nothing after 9am!) and we couldn't even get to VBS on time. It should work well if he takes the Lambs and I stay home and make supper. It's the days that Ram is not available to take them that I will need to plan/organize.
The Lambs are going to love all this. If I can survive June, perhaps we'll take a few days in July to go to places in the area for a little day away as a family. And I will enjoy the time with Lamb 3 alone on the days that Ram can take the Lambs to their activities.
I give a lot of credit to you moms that send your kids to school, I don't know how you do it every day. Maybe it gets easier as they get older and get more independent, but right now I totally understand why Ram's mom insisted that her boys were in AFTERNOON kindergarten!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

"I give a lot of credit to you moms that send your kids to school, I don't know how you do it every day."

Ditto!

Tell Ram to say hi to my hubby at Doxology! (He will be there as the musician.)

Glenda said...

And my hubby will be there as well!