Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Blueberries

Ram and I went blueberry picking while we had a babysitter this afternoon. The deal was one pail at regular price and any other pails 1/2 price. If I can find some time to go again, any future pails will also be half price. Ram and I picked about 23lbs-4 pails-in about 2 hours. I'm not sure if I'm really saving very much money by the time I paid the babysitter, but our friend that owns the garden thought it was very wise that we didn't bring the kids. He said families think it will be fun and kids only last a few minutes before they are hot, hungry, thirsty, and the bugs are getting them. They are usually only open in the morning, but he was kind enough to open it for us this afternoon. We had a beautiful afternoon and it was hot, but not that hot for July-upper 70s/low 80s. There was a slight breeze and it was a little cloudy. I looked at our calendar and this was the best day to go pick based on our schedule, needing time to take care of the berries we picked, and the chance of rain later this week. Plus Ram was free this afternoon and we had a babysitter so we picked twice as much. My grandma had raspberries and I had gone strawberry picking several times, but I had never picked blueberries before. The bushes were overflowing with berries!

Tonight I made one batch of jam and I plan to use some fresh in the next few days and I plan to freeze a bunch. Please leave a comment if you have any other good blueberry recipes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got a whole stack of blueberry recipes--cake, pies, muffins, coffeecake, etc. Sadly they do not grow here--they are dh's favorite, and we are stuck relying on the grocery for our berry fix.

Anonymous said...

MMMM, blueberry muffins (there is one for Blueberry Sruesel muffins in the red traditional Betty Crocker cookbook), blueberry pancakes, or crepes with blueberry sauce and whipped cream (ooooh, double yum!) To make an easy berry sauce just put the berries in a saucepan and heat them slowly with a few tablespoons of honey until the berries break down into a sauce. You can use any berries, or a mix of them. Blessings,Kathy