Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January reading report-library books

We used our library cards in January!
Ewe-in no particular order
One Magic Square-Houbein-made me realize we could garden with a small space almost year around here
Incredible Edibles-Day-I'm going to purchase this book after reading it from the library.
Nice pictures and explanations for the Lambs for planting.
Family Kitchen Garden-Liebreich-not as helpful as some of the other gardening books I got from the library
Organic Crops in Pots-Schneebeli-Morrell-showed plants growing in pots and nice to see a visual of how big pots should be and some ideas of cheap and easy pots
The Piano Book-Larry Fine-as someone that doesn't play the piano, it gave good advice of where to start to buy a piano
Gardening in ID-we had Gardening in MN and we will probably buy this one for a reference for gardening here
Sew Vintage-the first 3/4 of the book was not projects I would be interested in-clothes for women made out of doilies and vintage linens. But the end of the book was very interesting-instead of letting so many of my grandma's linens sit in a drawer perhaps I can use the lace to add to curtains etc. I'm still thinking about what I will do and it will have to wait until we get fully unpacked until I can see what I really have and how it might work. Frustrating because I think I have something but no idea until the boxes are opened at the new house.
Encyclopedia of Window Fashions-Randall-I now have some idea of how to do window treatments for our whole new house
Sew in a Weekend Curtains-I now have some idea of how to eventually sew some curtains for our new house.
New Kitchen Garden-Caplin-not as helpful as some of the other library books-did have some ideas for what grows well in containers, in shade, and what are the best croppers in small spaces.
Tips for Container Gardening-good, added to all my other knowledge about container gardening
Square Foot Gardening--Bartholomew-a friend recommended this book. It was good, but I think One Magic Square was even more helpful for me.
Fresh Food from Small Spaces--Ruppenthal-a friend recommended this book. We are not going to be able to keep chickens or make honey at our new house. We already make our own yogurt, kombucha, and many other things in the kitchen. I can see where this would be helpful to some people, but much of this book did not apply to our situation.
Room by Room Kitchens-Martin-gave me some ideas how to organize my new kitchen
Landscaping with Fruit-
Real Simple Solutions-learned a few household tips
One Year to an Organized Life-Leeds-blogged about this one already
Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks-I knew the basic story before reading this book, but it was both a sad and interesting story. I recommend this book.

Lamb 1-see a theme here?
Henry and Mudge and the Best Day of All
Henry and Mudge and the Great Grandpas-the Lambs laughed at the skivvies mentioned in this book
Annie and Snowball and the Wintry Freeze
Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble

Lamb 2-very eager to read books but hasn't quite caught on yet
Biscuit Goes to School


Family Read Alouds
Madeline at the White House
Many Clifford the Big Red Dog books
Many Arthur books by Marc Brown
Look and Learn about Animals on the Seashore
Babar's Battle
Bear feels sick
Little House book-County Fair-basically excerpts from Laura Ingalls Wilder books with pictures-I would rather read the real book but the Lambs like to hear the same stories over and over
Let's Count it Out Jesse Bear-I was happy to find more Jesse Bear books after we read one as part of Before Five in a Row
How People Lived-DK-we read the first few pages about prehistory-Egypt

Movies
Snow Days-Peanuts-we are big Charlie Brown fans
DK Eyewitness Bird-evolution but ok with parent watching with them
Pharoahs-50 minute movie that we watched in two sections but was still too long for the Lambs, I'll have to see what other Egypt movies I can find at the library

No comments: