Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mexican salad

Yesterday we took a family field trip and then we ate out for lunch at a Mexican restaurant. I ordered a combo of a side salad and a chicken flauta. I was trying to figure out when I ordered if that would be enough food. When it came the side salad was huge! I could have just eaten salad and not needed any more food. I was still full at supper time so I didn't eat supper. The salad had a mango citrus dressing. I tried googling mango citrus salad dressing and nothing came out exactly like what I had. So here is a combination of a couple of recipes that I think would be similar to the restaurant. The salad ingredients listed are what I could see in the salad. The question marks afterwards are what I think would also be good on the salad. We try to eat in season so it will be summer time before we have this salad at home, but I'm definitely going to try to make this. I do enjoy trying to make recipes at home similar to what I eat at restaurants.


Ewe’s homemade Mexican salad recipe

Mango citrus dressing:
1 mango
3 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
Blend everything until smooth. Add some water if it is too thick. Set aside.
Garnish with cilantro or mint.

Salad:
Salad greens-your choice
Red onion
Corn
Black beans
diced fresh tomatoes
Shredded carrot
Shredded cheddar cheese
Avocado slices?
Bell pepper slices?
Celery?
Sunflower seeds?
Feta cheese?

Serve salad with dressing on the side.

Ram had a fried avocado filled with cheese. I'm not planning on attempting that at home. I bet the Lambs would love it though!

No comments: