Thursday, October 22, 2009

Passionate Housewives Desperate for God-Part 5

I am finally blogging about what I found to be the most useful part of this book.
"Moms of little ones need their sleep! We can certainly discipline ourselves to go to bed early enough so that we can wake up with our little ones (or our husband), but to beat ourselves up over our failure to create a worship time that resembles someone else's isn't necessary and can sometimes be detrimental." (PHDfG page 51)
I had a great start to morning reading and personal reading Bible time in August. Then we all got sick in September and I haven't gotten back to that. I do plan to get back to it soon. I really enjoyed my own time to read my Bible. But I chose to do it while the Lambs were playing quietly around me-I didn't get up before they did. I knew that would never work because Lamb 2 wakes up the earliest of any of us. I would have to get up several hours earlier in order to get up before him. He hears someone up and he gets up no matter what time it is or how tired he is.
"Too many women are in bondage to the man-made myth that everyone should pray in one great big gush early each morning. But rather than praying a river at an appointed time every day, I would suggest a more reasonable and feasible option for a busy mother: pray in "droplets" throughout the day. Not only is this achievable, it is biblical. We are instructed to "pray without ceasing" and to let our souls follow close behind Him as His right hand holds us up.
What better way to follow close behind Him than to read snippets of Scripture and pray in droplets throughout the day? As you care for your children, interact with neighbors, and chat with store clerks, 'let your tongue speak of His righteousness and of His praise all the day long'. God is your refuge-make clinging to Him every moment become a disciplined habit, even as others look on:"(PHDfG page 52)
"I have become as a wonder to many, But You are my strong refuge. Let my mouth be filled with your praise and with Your glory all the day." (Psalm 71:7-8)
"When all your children are small, it can be nearly impossible to even go to the bathroom alone, much less enjoy a half-hour of prayer and contemplation in heavenly, uninterrupted bliss; so get creative! Copy chapters of Scripture or buy small pocket Bibles and place them around your house-in the bathroom, in the laundry room, next to the chair where you nurse the baby-wherever you might have a moment where you're standing (or sitting) still. You'll find yourself rising above your trials by God's sustaining hand when you make His Word a continuous presence in your day.
If you have little ones, accept that this is your "noisy season" of life. You'll have moments for "quiet" time later. Pray in droplets during the day as well as when you're awakened at night:" (PHDfG pages 52-53)
Ram is very good at this. One of the first things he did when we moved here was to place a Bible in the bathroom. He never "wastes" time in the bathroom with his Bible there. He also remembers to recite his catechism to himself while he is in the shower. I haven't done this yet, but I plan to post Bible verses around the house-where I do dishes, where I get ready in the morning, etc. Our college dorms did this-put Bible verses in each of the bathroom stalls, etc. It's amazing how fast you can memorize a Bible verse when you read it several times a day.
"Yet the Lord will command his loving kindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life." (Psalm 42:8)
"Pray with your children, pray when you're bathing the baby, and pray in the shower-but pray!" (PHDfG page 53)
"It took me a long time to realize that I needed to serve God right where He had placed me-and I didn't have to be in seclusion to spend quality time with Him. I was in His presence with every diaper I changed, every Bible story I told my children, every meal I prepared, every toilet I cleaned, and every math paper I graded. I learned to gather my little ones around me to pray the Lord's Prayer, for my good as well as theirs.
Besides our time of family worship led by my husband in the mornings, my children and I prayed together, sang together, and studied God's Word together in our homeschool during the day. These times were not any less important or spiritually fulfilling than a quiet time alone. If this is your season of little ones, find ways to include them in your spiritual life." (PHDfG page 54)
I know I will continually work on this, but I have done better in this area since we began homeschooling Lamb 1 a few months ago. We say Luther's Morning Prayer to begin our day. We practice memorizing a Bible verse then too. Ram leads family devotions at lunch. In the afternoon we practice memorizing a part of the catechism and a hymn. We also read a Bible story then too. Finally at bedtime we say Luther's Evening prayer, Lord's Prayer, Creed, and sing two hymns. By making a homeschool schedule, it forced me to schedule it myself. Plus Ram and I do Compline together at the end of the day.
I found the idea to pray in "droplets" to be the most useful part of this book. I'm not sure how much more I will blog on this book, but I do have some more quotes from the book marked and I will share more in the coming weeks.

No comments: