Monday, October 19, 2009

Yesterday and Camera Advice Wanted

(Sorry, I meant to post this tomorrow (Monday), but I forgot to set it for tomorrow! When the post says yesterday, it means Sunday!)
We were blessed with a beautiful sunny day in the 60's yesterday. The Lambs were well enough to go to church and Sunday School. We had a meltdown because I wouldn't allow them to shake hands at the door with all the sickness going around. I had warned of that on the way to church, but I guess we didn't listen. It was good to be back at church after missing two of the past 3 Sundays. In the afternoon we went to a birthday party for a church member that was 80. They brought leftover cake over for us afterwards. The Lambs are looking forward to more cake! Ram took Lamb 1 and 3 outside for a little with the beautiful weather. They brought the tomato cages inside. We still have a little more yard work tasks to do so I hope we are blessed with a few more nice days. Snow is predicted for later this week, so we'll see.

I need advice for purchasing a digital camera. Ram's dad bought us our first digital camera when I was pregnant with Lamb 1. It broke a few days after Lamb 2 was born. Then we bought a Canon Powershot. I was happy with this camera until recently. We went to a wedding this summer and the lady that I asked to take pictures said it was really slow reaction time. I thought it just needed new batteries (it did). But since June I have noticed that she was right, it has a slower and slower reaction time even with new batteries. Having a slow reaction time when you have little Lambs is not a good thing. Especially when you want to take a picture of all 3 Lambs! I think the camera is slowly dying.
We are not rushing out to buy a new camera since ours still works, but we are beginning shopping for one. One thing I do not want is a slim camera-I would rather have a fatter camera to have something for stability without a tripod. Canon Rebels have been highly recommended but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that much money. I've never had a camera with different lenses and I'm kind of hesitant as an amateur photographer. I'm just looking for a camera that will take nice photos of our Lambs, I don't want to be a professional photographer! I hope you readers can help us in our camera search with some advice about what you have and what you like about your camera! So here's my questions:
1. What kind of a camera do you have and would you recommend it? Does it fit my criteria to not be too slim?
2. If you have a Canon Rebel, is it worth the money?
3. Where did you purchase your camera-especially online sites that you would recommend?
TIA!

5 comments:

Esther said...

I have a Nikon Cool Pix P90. Here's the link at Best Buy-http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9223743&type=product&id=1218062139060
It's pricey, but worth every penny. The quality of pictures is great, and the shutter speed is fast. It's not a slim camera at all--It's fat and chunky, but I like it that way. I like the feel of a camera in my hands. We bought this right at Best Buy, but you could also do it at Best Buy.com. E-mail me if you'd like any more info!!

Anonymous said...

My digital is an Olympus, but it's also almost 3yo and is definitely a slimmer model. Purchased it at a local camera shop when we lived in Iowa, so can't help with retailers.
My previous camera was a Canon Rebel; in fact I still have it and keep thinking I should sell it, but does anyone still want a 35mm???? sigh! I bought it in 2001 and I loved its picture quality but I hated lugging it around so much that I did not take many pictures away from home. Now realize I am small, with small hands. And I travel very light, carrying only a small purse and a small diaper bag (that I leave in the van once the tot is a year old or so). So to me it was a big drawback to have a camera bag that was bigger than my purse; I am much happier with something that fits in my purse! But it sounds like your mileage may vary. . .and as I said, I was very happy with image quality etc, although I never did get around to learning to use most of those settings. :)

Glenda said...

Both my daughters have Nikon Cool Pix 90's and they love them. They do take really good pictures. Watch sales at Amazon, etc. now as the Christmas season approaches, you might snag a good deal. The best thing to do is look online at some you think you like, then next time you're "in town" head to Best Buy or Ritz Camera shop or some place like that where you can see and touch and look at all the different ones. Take notes and then go back and look for the best deal online.

Whenever you do get your camera, read your owners manual and play around with your camera, that will help you become a better photographer and capturing all those wonderful Lamb action shots.

Ewe said...

E,Z,E Mom-Thanks, I looked and this camera is on sale at Costco. This may be just what I am looking for.
Agnusdei-I am talking about a digital Canon Rebel. I used to always carry my camera in the diaper bag but I think that is one of the reasons our first camera broke. So the second camera lives in the camera bag, never in the diaper bag too. I actually don't want something that fits in my purse-I like the feel of a fat and chunky camera.
Everyone-please keep the comments coming!

Erin said...

Our first digital camera was an Olympus. I loved it. My husband missed our big 35mm SLR, so we compromised and bought a Olympus digital SLR before Gus was born (blogged about it here: http://erin-e3.blogspot.com/2009/01/balloons.html). I like it, but there is so much for me to learn about photography and the camera itself! I want to take good pictures of my kids. I don't want the bells and whistles a big SLR provides. I am not into sports photography or nature stills.

If I were to buy another camera for just ME...I would buy an Olympus, maybe the Stylus-9000. I wish my camera had the short movie feature. I don't carry my camcorder with me...but if my camera had that ability my blog would have little videos too!