Monday, January 16, 2012

Granola

2 cups rolled oats
2 cups quick oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

Combine all but oats and stir. Add oats. Bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes-stirring every 10-15 minutes. After cooled add dried fruits about 1 1/2 cups worth. Use whatever fruit you have on hand-raisins, cranberries, banana chips, apricots. This recipe was recommended to me from Stace Kendall from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook and I adapted it to this recipe.

Ewe's tips: I add about 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut after I stir it the second time (for the last 10 minutes of baking.) I usually triple this recipe and it stays fresh because of the coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. I do not add fruit to mine, but have fruit available for each Lamb and Ram to top their granola when they pour themselves a bowl. The Lambs prefer different fruits for toppings. Dried blueberries from Costco are a favorite for everyone. Sometimes I add ground flax seed to the liquid mixture before I add the oats. You can also add almonds or other nuts, but I have not done that-to make it cheaper since we go through so much here. I usually use Louana coconut oil from Walmart for making granola because it is cheaper. Sometimes I use a better quality brand coconut oil and it does taste better. I would encourage you to experiment with this recipe and make it how your family likes it. I grease the pans so the granola comes out of the pan easier, but it is most important to stir every 10-15 minutes.