Thursday, June 14, 2012

Swim lessons photos

Lamb 2 became afraid of the deep end during lessons last year. He is still shy about the water at lessons, but he is doing much better than last year.
Lamb 1 has really taken off this year. He swims over by the wall when it is not his turn to swim with the teacher's supervision. He loves the last 5 minutes of lessons when he jumps off the diving board as many times as he can. He swims to the wall almost by himself after jumping.
Lamb 3 is taking his first lessons this year. The first 3 days he did really well, better than Lamb 2. Then on the 4th day he decided he didn't want to do swim lessons any more. He wasn't afraid, he just didn't want to do lessons. He sat on the side of the pool and did nothing the teacher asked until it was free time the last five minutes. The 5th day he wouldn't even get in the pool, he grabbed the fence and shook it and said, "Get me out of here!" It was not that he was afraid of swimming, he just didn't want to. He did swim lessons on the day that it was 50 degrees and raining. When it was 70 and sunny he didn't want to do lessons. The 6th day Ram took him to lessons and put him in the water and he did lessons that day although not as enthusiastic as the first days of lessons. But Ram can't take him every day (he does need to be a pastor some time!) so it was my turn again on the 7th day. The 7th day Lamb 3 asked in the car if he could have candy if he did swim lessons. I don't know where he got that idea. But I was running out of ideas (we tried explaining that if he didn't learn how to swim at lessons that he wouldn't know how to swim at the pool in our subdivision, etc.) so I said ok to candy. Then the rest of the few minute trip to the pool Lamb 3 chanted, "I'm going to do everything the swim teacher asks me to do and I'm going to get candy." He has done lessons great for the last 2 days.
I just shake my head because parenting is so different for each child. I never thought I would give in to candy, but in this case my excuse is that I didn't bribe him with candy, he had the idea... And Grandma has supplied us with enough candy that I ration it out throughout the year instead of giving it all at Easter so I have a stock for swim lesson bribes now.
These photos were taken on the 8th day of lessons. I also made a video of Lamb 1 jumping off the diving board but I'm not sure how to post that so I'll just post photos.
Lamb 2 swimming with teacher on far left. Lamb 3 back float with teacher in middle.

Lamb 2 back float with teacher on far left.

Lamb 3 swimming to teacher in middle.

Lamb 2 swimming with teacher.

Lamb 2 practicing kicks on far left. Lamb 3 swimming to teacher in middle.

Look at Lamb 3 jump!

Lamb 2 and 3 reading while they wait for Lamb 1's lessons after theirs.

Lamb 1 being a seal swimming through the ring.

Lamb 1 #1

#2

#3

#4

#5
Barely any help from the teacher to swim to the wall!

No comments: