Monday, December 14, 2009

12th Week of School Report

On Monday we traveled 1 1/2 hours for Lamb 2 and 3 to have their well visit checkups and also for the 3 Lambs to have photos taken at Sears. It was a busy day and I took our school books along but we didn't find time to do school that day. On Tuesday we traveled about 1 hour for Lamb 2 to have a hearing test. We did some school in the car that day. Wednesday-Friday we did school. Saturday we had another busy day and only did a little school. After the transition from classroom to homeschool, I am learning to "go with the flow" some days, and especially in December. I know that we are doing more school now than I did with my students when I was in the classroom. We don't have any Christmas program practice, we aren't having a Christmas party, we aren't making Christmas presents, and we aren't going on any field trips to see gingerbread houses or see the Nutcracker. Nor are the Lambs all hyper about Christmas and unable to concentrate on school this time of year.
Math: Lamb 1 continued the same lesson of adding 2.
Handwriting: Lamb 1 continues to practice his letters-one upper and lower case letter a day. I am seeing small improvements when we concentrate on them one at a time.
Reading: We finished My Book House volume 2. It was fun to read The Night Before Christmas and stories about The Nutcracker and other Christmas stories at this time of year. We began volume 1. We will be able to go through volume 1 quickly as we have done it before. We are taking a break from Five in a Row. We finished another book of poetry that we were reading so we will also take a break from that. Lamb 1 has Psalm 23 memorized and Lamb 2 almost has it memorized. We called Ewe's parents and they recited it over the phone to them.
Phonics: Lamb 1 is doing very well in The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. He is reading the 2 or 3 letter words well.
Religion: We did more Bible stories of Zechariah and Elizabeth and baby Jesus. We began practicing singing Christmas carols. At Ladies Aid, the ladies were impressed that the Lambs favorite Christmas carol was Hark the Harold Angels Sing and they knew all the words. We worked on memorizing the 9th commandment.
Latin: We continue Prima Latina. I like to do it when we are in the car, on days that we are at home we don't always get it done. My dad suggested that we make Latin a priority to keep Lamb 1 challenged. I think my dad is right so I'm going to make more of an effort to do Latin at home. Without giving specifics, I suspect that math is too easy for Lamb 1 sometimes. Memorizing Latin vocabulary is more difficult for Lamb 1 than it is for Lamb 2. Lamb 1 is better at applying Latin than Lamb 2. Plus Ram reminded me of the importance of doing math and Latin daily to learn it well.

No comments: