Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Flute

I started playing the flute when I was in 4th grade. I took private lessons for many years in addition to band. I was never very good, but I have great memories from high school band and college Wind Ensemble. After college I was asked to play at Redeemer Lutheran Church in Fort Wayne once along with a string instrument and another time I was asked to play at my church, Zion Lutheran in Fort Wayne. At Redeemer I played with a high school student and felt like I was way more rusty than I should have been a couple of years after college. At Zion, I played with another flautist and didn't spend the time practicing like I should have and really regretted it on the morning we were to play in church. Sometimes I played my flute at home since I don't play the piano and the easiest way for me to get a tune is with my flute (figuring out a hymn, etc.).
A few years ago, we had some extra money and I decided one of the things I wanted to do was to get my flute cleaned and repadded. It was in awful shape after college pep band especially. A friend visited and took my flute back to Fort Wayne to a music shop that I trusted. My parents picked up the flute when it was done and brought it to me. That was about 4 years ago. I put the flute in the closet and didn't touch it since then.
We have been studying music instruments and we listened the the flute today in homeschool. The Lambs begged me to get out my flute. When I got it out, they begged me to play a song. I tried "I don't know any songs, I need some music" but that didn't work. So they brought a hymnal and I played I am Jesus Little Lamb.
I hadn't even opened the flute after my parents brought it back to me. It was beautiful when it was all cleaned up and new pads! It doesn't look brand new like when I got it in high school, but it was beautiful. I regretted not opening it up earlier because I think I would have been motivated to play it, just because it is so beautiful!
I have a new goal to practice enough to play I am Jesus Little Lamb with the Lambs and the Sunday School children in church on Good Shepherd Sunday. I thought Good Shepherd Sunday was in May, but Ram told me it is on April 25.
I have gotten out of playing in church (even our small churches) because I have either been pregnant or have little ones. I think the Lambs are old enough now to let me play. It's good that the Lambs enjoyed my playing this morning because I'm going to need to practice a lot before Good Shepherd Sunday!

No comments: