Sunday, February 16, 2014

Valentine's Day Dinner

I considered a menu and decided I wanted something different than we usually have, that most of us would like, and not too expensive. I looked through my Paleo cookbooks and found a recipe for pulled pork that looked good. I made the menu last week. Then on Sunday we went to a pastor's installation in the area and their menu included pulled pork. I decided to keep my original menu and make homemade BBQ sauce. I shopped for a few ingredients on Thursday.
Ram put some pork in the crockpot first thing in the morning on Friday. He stuffed it with garlic and it smelled delicious while it was cooking. I ran some errands that afternoon and when I got home Ram and I finished cooking the meal. I made homemade BBQ sauce and cole slaw. Ram made sweet potato fries and used some truffle oil that has been in our pantry for awhile to cook them. The Lambs had blueberry juice and Ram and I had huckleberry wine. We purchased this wine in January because with a rebate it was cheap and we really like it.
The problem was that some of the Lambs were beginning to get sick. Lamb 2 and 3 fell asleep while we were making dinner. So we ate our dinner in shifts of when people were awake. None of the Lambs ate very well because they didn't feel well. We decided to postpone the planned dessert until the next night. It was not the family Valentine's Dinner that I had planned.
Lamb 1 was very confused the whole day because we weren't doing things like we have always done them according to his memory. We didn't go help with the preschool party. I didn't make chocolate pie with raspberries for dessert. We tried new recipes for the main dish instead of using family favorites. With sick Lambs we decided to just have store bought gluten free cookies for dessert.
I had bought lots of strawberries and had planned to make chocolate fondue for dessert. I didn't want to postpone dessert for too long because the strawberries would go bad. So we made it for dessert after supper on Saturday. Lamb 2 and 3 did not eat very much as they still didn't feel well. But Ram, Ewe, and Lamb 1 ate several strawberries and gluten free shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate!
We decided that we are definitely going to make this pulled pork again and possibly do it with other meats like chicken and turkey. It was so easy to cook all day and be ready for supper. We want to make the sweet potato fries in truffle oil again. The Paleo chocolate fondue was easy and good. It was disappointing that the Lambs were sick and dinner did not go as planned, but those of us that were healthy enjoyed everything.

No comments: