Friday, September 4, 2009

New Zoo Revue

I was an only child until I was 7 years old and we had TV (free not cable) until I was about 5 years old. I think I watched quite a bit of TV then- Mister Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, a local show with Mr. Al playing an accordion, etc. One show that I loved was New Zoo Revue. It had Freddy the frog, Henrietta the hippo, and Charlie the owl and I think the adults were Emmy Jo and Doug. Somewhere I also got an activity/coloring book with the characters.

A few years ago I saw a New Zoo Revue show on videotape and I purchased it. Yesterday I decided to have Lamb 1 watch it with me. He tolerated one episode. The theme song brought back good memories for me. And it taught good morals. But other than that, I was pretty bored with the show when I watched it yesterday. Emmy Jo and Doug had on 70s clothes and I couldn't get past that. Emmy Jo had on way too short of a miniskirt. I think of that more now that I'm a mom of boys! I think when I was little I enjoyed the shows had a plot and unlike Sesame Street, the entire episode was based on that plot instead of continually changing scenes. Plus, technology has changed enough to make the show even more cheesy 30 years later!

I won't be purchasing any more New Zoo Revue nor asking the Lambs to watch it. I was appalled when I looked at NZR on YouTube-both the "remakes" that people have done of NZR and some of the songs from the originals. When I get tired of Thomas the Train or Richard Scarry, I'll think of how much better those are than NZR!

No comments: