Monday, September 7, 2009

The night before the first day of school

I tried to remind the Lambs before bedtime that tomorrow was the first day of school and we would be following more of the schedule. I have been following the schedule without academic subjects for the last few weeks to try to get them used to it.
Lamb 1 has already decided that he doesn't like math. He's never done formal math before. We've done lots of counting and reading about math, but nothing formal. I don't even plan to begin Math U See right away tomorrow. I plan on letting them "play" with the Math U See blocks for a few days before beginning. In his pretend world he is a pastor. He often says he has to write a sermon or go to a meeting or visit someone. When I was discussing our schedule for tomorrow, Lamb 1 said, "I can't do math tomorrow, I have a funeral then!" Good try!
I also discussed how we are going to have school Monday-Saturday, only taking off Sunday. This is so we are free to take a day to go shopping (Grocery is 1 1/2 hours away) or go to the doctor (also 1 1/2 hours away) or go to visit someone when Ram goes out of town. Right away Lamb 2 said, "We can't have school on the day we go to Goodwill!" We often go to Goodwill in the same town as the grocery, but we don't always go there and we never go 1 1/2 hours to just go to Goodwill!
I also thought of how different it is for me as a parent on the night before my oldest child starts kindergarten at home instead of at school. We bought a few useful school supplies while they were on sale (and even got more on clearance at Target when we were in SD on Saturday). But I didn't have to go shopping with a list and we didn't do any clothes shopping. Lamb 1 would have major separation issues and we don't have to deal with that. Today I mentally went through the schedule of what we have planned for all the subjects, making sure I had got out all the books and had planned everything. That only took a few minutes and we're ready. Although I plan to get up at 8 am and start our schedule, we don't have to get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to meet the bus. The Lambs had mild fevers today and we don't have to worry about them missing their first day of school. It's predicted to rain tomorrow and we don't have to worry about waiting for the bus in the rain.
I'm very glad that we chose to homeschool and I'm looking forward to the first day of school tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the quote of the year. I think I may use it too. "I can't clean the bathroom tomorrow, I have a funeral then!" hehehehe.

Anonymous said...

Actually, seeing as Dan has had 9 funerals since July 27, he uses that excuse quite often too! ;-)