Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Resurrection of our Lord

Easter brings both sadness and happiness especially because I will always think of my Grandma Frieda at Easter time. For as long as I can remember, she would make candy fondant in a bunch of colors and we would make tiny Easter eggs out of it. Then she would make cupcakes and color coconut green for grass and we would put our fondant eggs on those cupcakes. My Great Aunt Pauline often made a few kinds of pie for our holiday celebrations. Easter was special because we were "forced" to eat both pie and those cupcakes. I don't know how many dozen cupcakes Grandma made every Easter! Aunt Pauline also gave us Easter candy (Cadbury Creme eggs, chocolate marshmallow eggs, jelly beans). I've tried to continue this cupcake tradition with my boys but they don't have the patience to work with the fondant nor understand it is a several day project. Eventually they will love helping to make the cupcakes, but they need to be older.

Whether I'm thinking about Grandma Frieda or Aunt Pauline or you are thinking of a loved one that you lost recently, Easter is bittersweet. The assurance of knowing that our grandparents, Ram's brothers, our miscarried Lambs, and other loved ones and friends (insert whomever you are thinking of here) are celebrating a glorious Easter with our Savior and Lord in heaven is a great blessing. I pray that you and your families have the peace that passes all understanding. I am so thankful that I was able to take the Lord's Supper on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. During all of those times I thought of how I was taking the Lord's Supper along with the angels and the whole company of heaven including my loved ones in heaven. I am so thankful that Jesus rose from the dead to forgive my sins and grant me eternal life.

You can look forward this week to several photos from Holy Week while I tried not to post very much (including Lamb 3's birthday) and of course from Easter.

I will end with one of my favorite hymns to comfort me when I think of my loved ones that are celebrating Easter in heaven today.

Jesus lives! The victory's won! Death no longer can appall me;
Jesus lives! Death's reign is done!
From the grave will Christ recall me.
Brighter scenes will then commence; This shall be my confidence. (LSB 490)

HT: The idea for this post came from D. Raasch in the CUW alumni e-newsletter.

1 comment:

Joelle said...

Interesting to me that you had communion on Good Friday. I don't think I've been to a Good Friday service that had communion before. Where do you have it in the service?