Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Results are in...

I received a letter from the doctor yesterday. My lab tests are back and everything was normal except my Factor II analysis had two separate mutations. This puts me at a higher risk of miscarriages. The doctor recommends either Heparin or Lovenox injections (blood thinner)during future pregnancies. I am currently against this both because I don't want to take injections and the logistics of living 2-3 hours away from any specialist doctors. Do any of you have any advice on this? Please leave a comment if you can. I will need to ask my doctor more questions before we make a decision.

My TSH thyroid level was low and close to what my levels were when I've had it drawn recently for my thyroid doctor. So I continue to wait a few months to see if my levels recover after the miscarriage. I have an appointment to see the thyroid doctor the beginning of June.

Interesting, the same day that I received this letter about my lab results, Pastor Harrison posted this on his blog. I remember when Pastor Harrison and his wife Kathy had a miscarriage while he was my pastor. It really was one of those times that I didn't know what to say. The words he posted from Luther are such a comfort. I pray that his post is helpful for many people.


Gina said...

I linked to his blog too and oh what comfort those words were.

During my recent pregnancy they thought that I might need the injections, I have MTHFR though and it's not fixed with blood thinners but with mega doses of folic acid. Anyway they took me through the education for the injections and it's not that involved, I have read that the success rate for being able to carry on the injections if much higher than off. Do you have a local doc that you trust who would be willing to monitor you while doing this, in conjunction with the specialist? The other thing that I learned about these blood clotting disorders is that a baby aspirin every day is all it takes for some, it at least can't hurt and might help.

You are in my prayers, I'm looking forward to seeing you at Melanie's and I hope and pray that God gives you peace of mind with whatever decision you make.

You have been a great comfort and help to me in both of our miscarriages and I wish to be the same for you in any way that I can.

MooreMama said...

Ewe, One of my issues is a "suspected blood clotting disorder". At the beginning of my pregnancy with Callie (directly on the heels of my second miscarriage), my OB suggested that I try a low dose asprin daily. He didn't want to do the "full blown testing" until my 3rd miscarriage - mostly because it would be expensive and low dose asprin is cheap.
(it worked, btw. and I've take one every day so far this pregnancy)
I do know several people that have done the Heparin and Lovenox injections (under the care of a "regular" OB) - the most recent one delivered a healthy, full term baby last week after 4 miscarriages in 3 years.

I also don't see a specialist, unless you count an OB as a "specialist", because a) I love my OB and b) I'd have to drive 100-ish miles to see the nearest specialist and there's no guarentee that I'd like him.