Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Goodbye and Thank You, Former President Bush!

I received an e-mail from my dad today in honor of President George W. Bush's wedding anniversary. They have been married for 31 years as of 11/5/08. I will try to summarize what it was about. I have no idea who wrote this tribute to give them credit.
The leader of the free world had a woman by his side that promised to always be with him in love and support. George and Laura openly display deep affection for each other. They adore each other. They enjoy each other's company. It was a blessing to observe this. They were subjected to some of the ugliest abuse in our country's history. Throughout the rumors and hated, they endured it with peace and joy. They endured this through the grace of God because of their faith in Jesus Christ and prayer.
We grieve that his term is over and we will no longer see their example of mature love. But we rejoice that you will finally be able to spend time with your beloved. Even if the whole country is not saying it, we admire and respect you. We are forever thankful for what you did for us the past 8 years.

On a personal note, I tried very hard from election day until today to not say anything negative in front of the Lambs about Obama, even though I was often thinking negative thoughts. As we watched the coverage today, I explained who everyone was to Lamb 1. I explained that after President Bush got on the helicopter that he was no longer our president, but Obama was. I was talking about President and Mrs. Obama. Lamb 1 surprised me and said, "But I don't want to call that man President, I still want President Bush!" Yeah, Lamb 1, that's exactly how I feel. I'm a sore loser. A few months ago Lamb 1 thought Bush was a silly last name. He received a letter and photos and stickers from President Bush in the mail. President Bush is the only president he has had in his lifetime. So no wonder, he doesn't want change!

May the Lord Bless and Keep and Protect Former President George W. and Laura Bush and their two daughters, as they begin this new chapter in their lives. Just imagine how many books George and Laura will read now!

No comments: