Friday, January 16, 2009

Thursday's Adventures

We lost our power for about an hour about 4:30am on Thursday. I was very worried and didn't sleep at all during that whole hour. I checked about a 1/2 hour after we lost power and the house was already down to 59 degrees. Thankfully they worked hard and got it back going about an hour later. It wasn't just our small town, it was several of the surrounding towns around us in MN and over the border in SD.
The school districts by us did have school with just a 2 hour delay. We heard 200 communities in MN (I don't know how many schools) canceled. I think schools just don't have the funds to heat buildings with this bitter cold.
It was predicted to get to -5 so we determined it was warm enough to travel the 1 1/2 hours to the doctor/shopping that we had planned. Unfortunately, the warmest we ever saw was -16. To say it is a pain to get 3 kids in and out of their car seats multiple times in that kind of weather is an understatement. The nurses were very surprised we came in this weather. All the schools around the doctor were canceled.
Lamb 3 did really well at his 9 month checkup. He didn't like the doctor examining him. When the doctor stood up to leave when we were done, Lamb 3 waved at him as if he was saying, "Goodbye, don't touch me again!" This checkup is an easy one with no shots or lab tests. Lamb 3 is actually on the chart now for height and he's growing in weight. I think we just have really small babies! He is close to 15 lbs now. But he's healthy and developmentally doing great.
We asked the Lambs where they wanted to eat lunch, and Lamb 2 is talking a lot more and quickly answered, "Apple Bee"! We don't usually eat out there as it is too expensive. But he did talk so nicely and Lamb 1 also really wanted to go there. Plus, we knew it would be much warmer eating there than getting fast food and eating in the car. Lamb 1 and 2 split chicken fingers and steamed broccoli and loved it. Lamb 3 slept most of the time we were there.
Then we went to Target and had a lot of shopping to do. There were some excellent sales and clearance items. Among other things, I bought a pair of dress pants for Lamb 1 to grow into for $2 and a sweater for him for $1.50.
Then we had Lamb 3 photo taken at Sears. I had a coupon so got the package of photos for $4.99. We've had all 3 Lambs take their photo in this Very Hungry Caterpillar outfit that Ram and I bought before we even had children in hopes to have one to wear it someday. Lamb 3 was shy at first, but he warmed up. I chose the 10th out of 11 photos that they took. It was hard to chose because he was so cute!
Then I had a coupon for CJ Banks that expired that day so I was glad to use it. There is no tax on clothing in MN. I chose a white mock turtleneck. After my coupon I paid $2.50. No, that's not a typo. I think I'll get a lot of use out of this basic.
Then we went to Caribou Coffee (there's no Starbucks) and Lamb 1 and 2 enjoyed playing with the toys while we took a little break. When we came in I told the Lambs that they had to share nicely with the one little boy sitting there. Lamb 1 went right up and started to share the boy's cookie and hot cocoa! Luckily I saw what he was doing and stopped him in time. At least he listened about sharing!
Then we did grocery shopping. Rice milk was on sale and Costco didn't have any last time we were able to get there so we stocked up on rice milk. While I was shopping with the Lambs, Ram got gas so we didn't have to be in the cold for that.
We got Arby's for a fast supper. We just got plain roast beef sandwiches. Lamb 1 and 2 each ate 1 1/2 sandwiches. Very clearly, Lamb 2 said "Mama. Dada. More. Meat." It was so cute, I almost went back to Arby's for some more sandwiches! But we told him he could have leftovers at home if he was still hungry then. They fell asleep in the car so we didn't have to worry about that. It won't be long that we can't afford Arby's even when they have specials, if 1 1/2 sandwiches don't fill up our 2 1/2 year old!
I would have liked to go to a few more stores, but it was just too cold. We were thankful our car worked and we had a safe trip and the power stayed on at home the entire day we were gone.

No comments: