Tuesday, January 13, 2009

More on CPSIA

My mom wrote to her congressman (IN) and this is the response she received. We should all write to our congresspeople. If only they could declare if Franken or Coleman won so I could write to them!

Dear Joan:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concern about the impact of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) on small businesses. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you know, the CPSIA was passed by the 110th Congress and signed into law (P.L. 110-787) by President Bush on August 18, 2008. This bill, which goes into effect on February 10, 2009, creates a more rigorous inspection process for consumer products, and makes it illegal to sell recalled products. The intent of this bill is to protect consumers from contaminated products and cut down on the number of lead-laced toys. Imports of unsafe products imported from China over the past year raised concern over the health, safety, and quality of imported products.

Some brick and mortar store owners are concerned this law will harm their businesses if they have to test their products. Although the new law does not require sellers to test children's products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit, such sellers are, nevertheless, prohibited from selling children's products that exceed the lead limit. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends all resellers to routinely check its website (www.cpsc.gov) for information about recalled products before taking products into inventory or before attempting to sell a product. For your information, I have included a clarification that the CPSC issued on the law. I hope you find it helpful.

I believe it is important that all consumer products in the United States meet U.S. standards for health, safety, and quality before they enter the U.S. market. I am concerned, however, about the effects this bill will have on small business, and I will continue to monitor the situation.
Thank you for keeping in touch with me. If I may be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again. I also encourage you to visit my Web site, which may be found on-line at www.Souder.House.gov.


Sincerely,Mark SouderMember of Congress

Please be advised, I cannot guarantee the integrity of the text of this letter if it was not sent to you directly from my Congressional Email Account. If you have any questions about the validity of this message, please contact me via my website at www.Souder.House.gov or you can call my Washington, DC office at: (202) 225-4436.

No comments: