Thursday, May 6, 2010

My physical

Have you had your annual exam recently? I remember talking to someone with 4 children that finally went for her physical when she sent the last one to kindergarten. She had gone when she was pregnant, but not since then. I was single at the time and I couldn't imagine that. I mentioned that to Ram once, I'm not even sure if we had any children when I told him this, and he told me he wanted my exams to be ANNUAL. I think we often spend so much time making appointments for our children (dentist, eye doctor, well child visits etc.) and we forget about ourselves. If you are overdue for your appointment, please schedule one today. Let's take care of ourselves so we are better able to take care of our families!

I went for my exam on Tuesday. I love our new doctor. She is about my age and she has two boys close in age to our boys. Since she is a relatively new doctor when she doesn't know the answer to something she isn't afraid to ask one of the more experienced doctors. I had my cholesterol and everything tested while I was there. I hadn't had all that tested since Lamb 1 was born. Plus I had been having my exams with my midwife and I think the doctor was a little more thorough than the midwife.

Everything came back normal except for my vitamin D. It is supposed to be over 50 and mine was only 16. I am to take a prescription vitamin D for a few weeks and be retested. Usually the prescription builds your vitamin D back up and then you are fine. I haven't been too good about taking my vitamins recently, so this was another reminder to me. It has been so cloudy and rainy here that we haven't been outside as much as we were in April. Lamb 1 and 2 still try to go outside, but I don't when the weather is yucky. I'll have to make more of an effort to go outside even if it is for a short time. I'm wondering if this vitamin D deficiency is part of the reason we were sick so much this fall.

I am also going to see my thyroid doctor in June and hoping to get my levels for that back to normal.

1 comment:

Dakotapam said...

We love our doctor as well. And while I love my OB and I'm sure he'd love a yearly update on the twins, I think I'll just send him a Christmas card and stick with our family doctor. Sheis big on vitamin d supplements and she said that while hats and sunscreen certainly have their place, she says wait until after a half hour in the sun to add sunscreen and put on the hat. It is not enough time to burn, but enough time to absorb some natural vitamin D...we've started this and feel better...when we have sun!