Sunday, August 8, 2010

MCCL Booth at the fair

This year was the first time in 6 years that we didn't have a baby in the "Adorable Baby" contest at the county fair. Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life sponsors this for babies up to age 2. I was asked to sit at the booth at the fair to take people's ballots for the baby contest and hand out pro-life literature. I gladly accepted and sat for 3 hours on Friday.
There wasn't a lot of activity in the afternoon, but a few people stopped by the booth. One was involved with Birthright and was full of information of how important the pro-life work is. I would have loved to have talked to her more.
One had just moved here from Vermont. He was shocked that there was a need for a petition to stop sex-selection abortions in MN. His response, "That happens in China, not in America!"
The most shocking for me was two girls (and I want to stress girls) that stopped by the booth with one boy. The boy asked which model showed a baby at 18 weeks. I showed him and he pointed out to the first girl what her baby looked like. He started bragging about his baby then. Then he teased the girl about having to deliver that baby if it was that big at 18 weeks. I had been quiet until then, but I spoke up and told him that if he was the father, he better be there to help her in the delivery room. Then the second girl spoke up and asked how her 12 week old baby looked. The first girl was obviously pregnant, the second one I wouldn't have known she was pregnant if she hadn't said anything. I am so thankful these girls kept their babies, but I can't imagine what they are going through now. Ram and I were a team when I was pregnant-especially when I was so sick with Lamb 1 and in the delivery room for all 3 Lambs. I can't imagine being pregnant without the support of a husband. These girls are in my prayers.
Several people stopped by the booth to express their support of pro-life even if they didn't vote for a baby or pick up any literature. There was only one that stopped by to make a point to tell me that he didn't agree with pro-life work. I tried to think quickly to have a response for him, but all I could think of was that he should be thankful that his mom didn't abort him. His response- "Maybe the world would be a better place if that would have happened."
This happened at our small county fair in just 3 hours-and it wasn't even busy at the booth. When my shift at the booth was done, I thought, "Lord Have Mercy".

1 comment:

Sue said...

Things like that make me fear for the future of this country.