Sunday, February 21, 2010

20th week of school report

Emotionally I was a wreck last week, especially at the beginning of the week. It helped me to have school daily and then set the Lambs free to play the rest of the day. We had school every day last week except for Tuesday. On Tuesday I went to the doctor and our babysitter came along with her mom and brother that is a few weeks older than Lamb 3. The Lambs enjoyed their morning of play. When I got home from the Dr. her mom and I sat around and chatted for a long time. I am so thankful for this family and the help they gave me while Ram was gone last week. ECFE was canceled because of the weather. We didn't do a lot of extras, just the basics of school while Ram was gone. Here's what we accomplished last week:
Math: Finished lesson 12 in MUS and began lesson 13. These are really easy lessons for Lamb 1 and if we hadn't had all the other stuff going on last week, I would have asked him to do more than one worksheet a day.
Reading: We recently began volume 3 of My Book House. So far the stories are longer and don't have my interest yet and definitely are too long for Lamb 2, sometimes too long for Lamb 1. We keep plugging along a little each day, but we don't have the joy that we had with volume 1 and 2. I'm going to attempt to keep with it until we finish volume 3 and then take a break for awhile from My Book House. We did volume 1 twice and volume 2 once. Finished reading Who Owns the Sun? We just read it several times and discussed it, didn't do any FIAR activities with it. I'm starting to run out of FIAR books that we own so I guess it's time to go to the library soon for this. We are still memorizing Bed in Summer by R. L. Stevenson.
Phonics: Lamb 1 continues to do well in Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading.
Religion: I finally got out the next set of posters, but we didn't actually read any of them. Hopefully now that they are out we will get to that this week! We also reviewed the commandments some more. After several weeks church canceled because of weather, we finally had Sunday School today so we have a new Bible verse to memorize now.
Latin: Continue to review in Prima Latina.
Music: We finished learning the names of the musical instruments in the first book that we used. I am amazed that both Lamb 1 and 2 know almost all of the names of the instruments when they see the photo of the instrument. I didn't know the names of some of those instruments until I was in high school band! Next we plan to listen to music from each musical instrument. Lamb 1 wants to ask for some of the musical instruments for his birthday. We own a triangle, recorder, drums, tambourines, maracas, etc. I'm not sure how many more instruments are sold for children. He really wants a cabaca. I guess I'll be searching for one of those the next few weeks! Each new instrument that we learned-the Lambs are typical boys and always asked how LOUD the instrument we were learning was!
We didn't get to much art or science or history to talk about here.
Handwriting: Lamb 2 continues on his worksheets from http://www.donnayoung.org/ and he does a little better every day. Lamb 1 continued to review writing the whole alphabet correctly. I'm thinking about what to do with Lamb 1 next, he still needs review and does not make all his letters correctly. We have been through the entire alphabet and numbers working one letter or number a day-we did this twice. I think we need to do this several more times. I'm trying to figure out how to make it more fun than just the daily basic handwriting sheet.

I also cleaned our guest room to make room for my sister who is coming to visit in a few weeks. We had a lot of stuff ready to be given away piled up in there that I organized. Now I'm waiting for my parents to come visit and get a lot of this stuff for the Seminary and other places. I washed all the sheets and blankets and actually dusted and vacuumed too. I began getting everything together to send to our tax preparer. I hope to finish my work on taxes and send it to her this week.

No comments: