Thursday, December 2, 2010

Surprising to me

A few months ago I received an e-mail on a list that I'm on from the former headmaster of the school I worked at. He said he was looking up something on Amazon and the first edition classical education book written by Veith was going for $80! He wished that he had bought a case of them 10 years ago since they are going at those prices. I looked on my shelf and found that book that was worth $80. When I looked on Amazon they must have received more used copies because it was no longer $80.
I read On the Mayflower to the Lambs this week. I noticed our paperback copy was falling apart. I thought I would look on Amazon and get a cheap copy to replace our copy. I also have a filmstrip and cassette tape of this book, but I can't use the filmstrip with the technology we have in our home today. I couldn't believe that it was priced $90 new and $55 used. It is just a paperback picture book. Needless to say, I'm going to tape our book back together, not buy a new copy.
These two books make me want to clean out our books and get rid of ANY that we won't be using in homeschool. I may just have some books that I don't think are that valuable, but they are out of print. Another thing to add to my to do list...

1 comment:

Erin said...

I sold all of the books we were not using on Amazon a couple of years ago. The process was time consuming, like you mentioned, but easy. The extra cash was really nice. I found my husband's shelf to be the most profitable.